I appreciate books that are kid-friendly and are not scary for the <5 year old group.
Granted, some kids do like scary books, yet generally in a class group of children there will be 1-3 who don't like to be scared.
So, I just leave the potentially scary stuff for children to individually check out from the school library or with their guardians.
Books about Pumpkins:
- Picking Apples & Pumpkins. Amy & Richard Hutchings. Real photos at a farm!
- The Pumpkin Patch. Elizabeth King. A real pumpkin patch.
- Pumpkin Pumpkin. Jeanne Titherington. Growing your own pumpkin.
Book about the Day of the Dead:
- Felipa and the Day of the Dead. Birte Muller. Felipa looks for the long-lasting soul of her grandmother, Abuelita. Beautifully written & Illustrated.
Books for the Fun of Halloween:
- Franklin's Halloween. Paulette Bourgeois/Brenda Clark. Franklin book series is so appropriate for children!
- Georgie. Robert Bright. A ghost looking for a friendly haunted house.
- Boo! Made You Jump! Lauren Child. Love Charlie & Lola?? Of course!
- Pumpkin Soup. Helen Cooper. It takes teamwork to make good soup!
- The Bumpy Little Pumpkin. Margery Cuyler/Will Hillenbrand. Choose the pumpkin YOU like best!
- Room on a Broom. Julia Donaldson/Axel Sheffler. Adventures on a crowded broom!
- Angelina's Halloween. Katharine Holabird/Helen Craig. Angelina series.
- The Biggest Pumpkin Ever. Steven Kroll/Jeni Bassett. Two mice tending to 2 pumpkins for the Big Contest!
- Bats at the Library. Brian Lies. Did you know Bats love to read???
- Big Pumpkin. Erica Silverman/S.D. Schindler Best best best recorded tape/CD - must get! Teamwork of ghost, bat, mummy, vampire to help witch get her pumpkin!
- Winnie the Witch. Valerie Thomas/Korky Paul. Colorful adventure of Winnie!
- Winnie Flies Again. Valerie Thomas/Korky Paul.
- Winnie's Midnight Dragon. Valerie Thomas/Korky Paul.
- Too Many Pumpkins. Linda White/Megan Lloyd. What if accidentally you had a yard FULL of pumpkins and you didn't even like pumpkins???
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything. Linda White/Megan Lloyd. A huge favorite, great call-response, so wonderful & surprise ending!
- The Teeny Tiny Ghost. Kay Winters/Lynn Munsinger. The ghost who didn't like to be scary or loud!
- On Halloween Night. Harriet Ziefert/Renee Andriani. Repetition, rhyme, & colorful illustrations as one girl gets the elements of her costume on for Halloween night!
Do YOU have a favorite Halloween book?