|"TOAD" worries that the Ice Cream is melting!|
Books that come to life.
There is nothing like YOUNG CHILDREN bringing a book to life with costumes and performing on stage.
It is joyful and unpredictable and oh-so-memorable.
|F & T has excellent stories for stage!|
Guiding students to bring books to life is - ideally - a process by which children take hold of each step of the creation and performance.
My teacher role...to uplift the group effort of drama performing with 4s and 5s:
1. I offer students a short list of books (from the very very long list of books that we have read all year) to vote for 1 or 2 to perform a play. (In order to do 2 plays at once, it would have to be shorter stories like Frog & Toad, or one year we did a "double play" of both Click-Clack-Moo: Cows that Type AND Giggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin).
2. I support all students to be THE character THEY want to be - it doesn't matter if there are 7 main characters or if there are invented characters. Students MUST be allowed to follow their choice - THAT is how the performance overall will be the most spirited and the most cohesive.
3. Costume design: I help students brainstorm key features of the character they chose - wings? ears? snout? big eye balls? They explore materials we have in class and/or bring other items from home to create their costume.
|Frog and "Froggy" in "Dragons & Giants"!|
|Two Butterflies in "Ice Cream"!|
|Hawks practicing their form for "Dragons & Giants"!|
|Toad in the "Ice Cream" story.|
|Frog in the "Ice Cream" story.|
|Program designed and written by the children.|
5. I ensure our time line from start to finish is about 2.5 weeks.
Week One: for choosing our book and making our scenery.
Week Two: for making our costumes and starting to practice bringing the book to life.
The Final Half Week: is creating our program and performing for visitors.
|Scenery, costumes, roles and dialogue - all choices made by the children.|
|The beginning of Dragons & Giants from Arnold Lobel's Frog & Toad - with 2 Frogs and 1 Toad!!|
|Take a Bow! All the characters from "Dragons & Giants".|
Afterward, we had a Cast Party with all our family and school friends. And, yes, of course there was ice cream!
Other amazing, fabulous, favorite books to make come to life on stage:
1. Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type.
(the demands of cows on Farmer Brown!)
(poor Caramba...the only cat that cannot fly! ? !)
3. Wow! It's Great Being a Duck
(duck named Lily, an eggshell hat and a hungry wolf!)